What Happens If I Don't Pay Alimony?

If you're an alimony payor, you've probably wondered what the consequences are for failing to pay spousal support in New York. In today's blog, we answer those questions for you.

At Levi Divorce & Family Law Attorneys, our team can help you fight for an equitable spousal support arrangement in your case. To schedule a consultation, contact us online or via phone at (718) 215-0121.

Held in Contempt of Court

One of the most common outcomes of failing to make alimony payments across states, including New York, is a court holding the delinquent payor in contempt.

Being held in contempt of court can have serious consequences for New Yorkers, including the suspension of their driver's license, and even jail time or fines.

However, courts generally prefer to implement alternative penalties, since revoking an individual's driver's license, placing them in jail, or fining them could simply make it even more difficult to pay for alimony.

Instead, courts may implement a payment plan for delinquent payors, sentence them to community service, or create procedures to automatically withdraw spousal support payments from existing funds they possess. The delinquent payor may also be ordered to reimburse the alimony recipient for any court fees (if they brought the alimony delinquency to light by filing a case).

What If I Can't Pay for Alimony Due to Legitimate Reasons?

Many times, payors don't intend to default on alimony payments - instead, they experience hardships that force them to become delinquent.

If you experience a substantial change in circumstances, you may be eligible for a modification to your alimony order. You should consider filing an alimony modification case with the court if you experience a substantial change in circumstances such as losing your job or developing a medical condition. Alternatively, provide the court with evidence of your situation if you are called in for failing to make payments.

At Levi Divorce & Family Law Attorneys, we can help you pursue modifications for your alimony arrangement. To schedule a consultation with our team or learn more about our methods, contact us online or via phone at (718) 215-0121.