Child Support Modification Attorneys in Queens
Life Requires Adjustments. We Can Help.
Changes in life occur all the time. Child support orders are issued by the court based on each parent’s income, your child’s financial needs, your housing situation, and your earning potential. Any of those factors can change, from you losing your job to your co-parent earning a promotion at work. As a result, modifications may be in order.
Orders of support can only be modified via court order, which means a judge has to approve the changes you make on the original order. Getting approval from the judge requires a working knowledge of legal requirements that a team of seasoned lawyers can provide. Principal attorney Natalie Markfeld and our Queens child support modification attorneys at Levi Divorce & Family Law Attorneys can help you and your family alter your order in a way that benefits you and your child.
In order to request a modification of your existing order of support, you must first go to court and file a petition. Our team can assist you with the legal paperwork so your modifications can get to the judge quickly.
In your modification request, you must show one of the following in the state of New York:
- There’s been a substantial change in circumstances since the original order was made (including a paying parent’s illness, decrease in parent’s income, or child’s medical needs)
- Three years have passed since the order was issued
- There has been a 15% increase or decrease in either parent’s income
If approved, the court’s modification will take effect the day you file the petition. If you want to have a judge-approved petition so your modifications can quickly take effect, our attorneys can provide legal counsel.
How to Make Modifications
We’re knowledgeable on all the steps you must take to reach a court-approved modification of your order of support.
To submit an accurate petition, you must:
- Collect the name and address of your co-parent, provide a copy of your existing support order, and list the names, addresses, and birth dates of your children
- File a petition for modification through our attorneys
- If court rules in favor of your petition, it becomes effective on the date the petition was filed
Don’t wait to get your petition submitted. Our Queens child support modification lawyers are ready to help clients make modifications that suit their new lifestyle changes.
Call (718) 215-0121 for a free consultation.